REGISTER or SIGN IN to save the items for more than 60 daysSign in / Register
Proper care and treatment of your waxed cotton garment will ensure its longevity. Waxed cotton, or oilskin, is a unique high-performance fabric. It is made by weaving 2-ply cotton yarn into a strong canvas fabric, which is then treated with a proprietary mixture of micro and technical waxes. This oil/wax treatment creates a highly resistant wind and water barrier, while maintaining the breathability of the cotton.
Complimentary re-waxing and repairs
In order ensure your Belstaff jacket is always ready for adventure, we are offering complimentary re-waxing and repairs on all Belstaff 6oz waxed cotton jackets. Drop your jacket into your local Belstaff store and we’ll take care of it for you. Our service is built around standard re-waxing and simple repairs like zips and studs replacement. For more serious wear and tear and alterations, we’re here to help you find the perfect solution. *T&C's apply.For more information on our complimentary service click here .
Regular cleaning not only enhances the appearance of your garment but removes dust and dirt that can cause premature wear. It also prevents dirt build-up from becoming irremovable stains.
• Remove dried mud, sand and grit as soon as possible especially along inner sleeve seams, as these are abrasive.
• Hose off or sponge wipe with cold water only. If dirt is ground in, gently brush it off with a soft bristled brush and then rinse.
• Hang to dry naturally for at least 24 hours in a dry, well-ventilated area.
• Reproof the entire garment after cleaning.
Doing any of the following will damage or remove the proofing and may void the garment’s warranty:
• Do not dry clean.
• Do not machine wash.
• Do not tumble dry.
• Do not use soap or detergent of any kind.
• Do not use solvents or bleach.
• Do not iron or starch.
• Do not force dry or expose to a direct flame.
• Do not expose to direct sunlight for a long period of time (such as rear car window).
Most waxed cotton garments will need regular reproofing within a year if worn frequently, or even sooner if you notice that the coat is drying out due to exposure to the elements. Uneven, shiny or dry areas, or where moisture no longer beads, is a good indicator to reproof those specific areas. It is not necessary to reproof the entire garment unless it has been washed.
By reproofing your waxed cotton jacket, you can bring back its original water-resistant finish. On top of prolonging the life of your jacket, reproofing will also revive the fabric's colour and help to prevent holes from forming along the seams of your jacket. Garments can be as good as new with an easy application of reproofing wax.
• Be sure that the garment is clean and dry. Lay it on a flat surface and apply the wax sparingly with a soft, lint-free cotton cloth.
• Try using a hair dryer to warm the wax on the cloth and on the garment as you apply it. This will make the application easier and more uniform.
• Spread the wax evenly, working it into the fabric in a circular motion. Do not coat the surface too thickly or it will not be able to absorb it all. Seams and worn areas will require more wax.
• Wipe off excess wax and hang garment to dry overnight in a well-ventilated area.
• The next day, spread out any excess oil not absorbed. Apply more wax to areas that still appear shiny or dry.
To ensure the longevity or your wax cotton coat or jacket, always be sure to hang it in a well-ventilated area. Dried mud, sand, grit and dirt should be removed as soon as possible, as it will have an abrasive effect on the waxed cotton.
Items stored not completely dried or stored in a humid area may very well develop mildew. Once stored, regularly inspect your garment for mildew or mildew-indicating smell to prevent damage from occurring to your garment.
Hang or roll/fold your garment in a dry, cool and well-ventilated space.
For all queries regarding repairs, please can we advise that you take your garment to your nearest store, or alternatively contact our Customer Service team on 0800 689 5625 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Avoid contact between waxed cotton and pale-colour leather car seats. As a precaution only, we recommend that you do not wear garments on seats for the first couple of weeks after purchase or after reproofing. Once the natural weathering process begins, the garment will feel dryer and softer and it will then be safe to resume normal use.
We offer a range of after sales services in our UK stores. You can take your garment to your nearest store, or alternatively contact our Customer Service team on 0800 689 5625 or at email@example.com.
• Zip replacement.
• Shorten sleeves (cotton).
• Shorten sleeves (leather).
• Shorten trousers/jeans.
• Replace lining (whole).
• Replace lining (partial or regional).
• Reinforce stitching.
• Reinforce material (holes or rips).
• Replacement belt (leather).
• Replacement belt (cotton).
• Shorten belt.
• Reinforce stitching for knitwear.
• Re-waxing for jacket with fur.
• Leather retreatment/reconditioning.
• Missing stud buttons (whole set).
• Missing zip pull.
• Re-sole (a long leather sole and rubber sole).
• Re-heel and resole.
• Zip replacement.
• Missing buttons/studs.
• Reinforce stitching.
Belstaff takes great pride in the design and craftsmanship of all its products. We seek to use only the finest materials and the highest manufacturing standards. We strive to make sure every item we sell is impeccable.
In the unlikely event that a Belstaff product does not match up to our high standards we will try our hardest to address the problem. Our jackets and footwear carry a 24 month guarantee from the date of purchase, our accessories carry a 12 month guarantee. This applies to items purchased in our standalone stores and online.
If you find a defect with your Belstaff item within the 24 month period you have a further two months to inform us of the issue, please contact Customer Services who will be able to advise you further.
Upon alerting to us to an issue with your item you may be requested to email us images of the damaged article. We will then make an initial assessment and come back to you with the next course of action.
Our warranty does not cover damage caused by wear and tear and misuse of the item.
If your item has been purchased from one of our Authorised Partners we would advise that you reach out to them in the first instance. They will then make arrangements with the relevant team at Belstaff to resolve the issue.